Sylhet District at a Glance:
Sylhet became a part of East Pakistan as a result of a referendum in 1947. The greater Sylhet was divided into four new districts viz. Sylhet, Sunamganj, Habiganj and Maulvi Bazar in 1983-84. Tombs of Hazrat Shahjalal(R) and Shah Paran(R), Syed Osmani Bagdadi(R), Burhanuddin(R), Jinda Pir, Fakir Kanai Shah and Shitalang Shah are sacred places for Muslims in home and abroad. In Sylhet, there are eleven police stations: Zakigonj, Kanaighat, Bianibazar, Jointapur, Gowainghat, Companigonj, Balagonj, Osmaninagar, Bishanath, Golapgonj, and Fenchugonj. Sylhet district police is divided into five circles: Golapganj, Gowainghat, Kanaighat, Osmaninagar and Zakigonj. It has four checkposts, two investigation centers, a divisional police hospital and an In-service training centre under the leadership of Superintendent of Police. In Sylhet district there are eighty seven (87) Union Parishads and four Pourasavas. During liberation war 8 (eight) police personnel of different ranks from this district sacrificed their valuable lives.
The Sylhet district is called the country of two leafs and one bud. The beauty of tea gardens of this area put their marks in the hearts of local and foreign tourists. Besides, the tea gardens there are a lot of tourist attractions in Sylhet such as Ratargul Swamp Forest, Hakaluki Haor, Lalakhal, Bholaganj, Tamabil, Bichanakandi and Jaflong and so on. There are a variety of different languages and cultures of the indigenous people. The famous dance of indigenous Monipuri even attracted poet Rabindranath Tagore and he himself praised Monipuri dance while visiting Sylhet in 1919.